crockery hire uk
cups & saucers, crockery for hire, vintage china service, wedding crockery, novel ideas, wedding themes, wedding reception ideas
The Briglin Pottery was a studio pottery founded in 1948 by Brigitte Goldschmidt (later known as Brigitte Appleby) and Eileen Lewenstein in the basement of premises at 66 Baker Street, London. Its object was "to produce well designed, attractive pots that could be used in the home, and to sell them at affordable prices." It produced a large quantity of domestic pottery, much of it recognisable from its dark earthenware body, muted colours, white glaze and wax resist designs. In some ways Briglin was atypical of post-war studio potteries: it made tin-glazed earthenware when most others were making stoneware, it employed staff at the time when most studio potters worked alone or with a few assistants, and its pottery and shop were in the West End of London when many potters preferred the country.
Appleby said of the pottery. While the London location presupposes high salaries and overheads, it has the advantage of easy access to raw materials, a perpetually changing patronage as well as an unlimited choice of assistants. We employ at our studio fifteen people and make over three thousand pieces a week. One of her staff, Michael Crosby-Jones, commented, Yes, Briglin is very commercial. This means that the pottery is a viable concern and the ten full-time employees plus half a dozen part-time employees are very pleased about this. Their staff included Donald Mills, who worked with them from 1948-52, and Anthony Barson who specialised in painted decoration. Due to a fire in 1952, the pottery moved to 22 Crawford Street where it continued until its closure in 1990. Lewenstein left the pottery in 1959 to set up her own studio. Both she and Appleby were active in forming the Craft Potters' Association and served it for many years. Lewenstein co-edited its journal Ceramic Review from 1970 until 1997.
Burleigh Pottery is the name of a pottery (earthenware manufacturer) in Middleport, Stoke-on-Trent. The pottery occupies a nineteenth-century listed building next to the Trent and Mersey Canal. (It is listed grade II with a bottle oven separately listed as grade II*).
The factory was established in 1851 at the Central Pottery in Burslem as Hulme and Booth. The pottery was taken over in 1862 by William Leigh and Frederick Rathbone Burgess, and traded from that date as Burgess & Leigh. The trademark "Burleigh", used from the 1930s, is a combination of the two names.
The works moved first in 1868 to the Hill Pottery in Burslem and then in 1889 to the present factory at Middleport, regarded at the time of its construction as a model pottery. Leigh and Burgess died in 1889 and 1895 respectively, and were succeeded by their sons, Edmund Leigh and Richard Burgess. On Richard's death in 1912, the business passed entirely into the ownership of the Leigh family. In 1919 it became private limited company, Burgess & Leigh Limited.
The years between the wars are often regarded as the company's "golden age", with a number of extremely talented designers and artists such as Harold Bennett, Charles Wilkes and Ernest Baily. Perhaps the best known was Charlotte Rhead, who worked here between 1926 and 1931, noted particularly for her work in tubelining. By 1939, the factory was employing over 500 people. The business took great pains, from as early as 1897, to build up a thriving export network, concentrating primarily on the Empire (later Commonwealth) and American markets, but focussing later also on Europe.
After a run of financial difficulty the company was sold in 1999 to the Dorling family, and traded as Burgess Dorling & Leigh. The company specialised in traditionally shaped and patterned domestic earthenware of high quality. In 2010 it was acquired by Denby Holdings ltd, the parent company of the Denby Pottery.